Sunday, July 31, 2011

Getting back on track

I am definitely a victim of my own procrastination. I let things go for a long time and then need a massive cleanup to get back on track. Such is the case with my house - everything fell by the way side while I was studying for Board Exams, and now it's time to get back in order.

I reached a dream accomplishment in that regards this weekend - we finally rid the house of all boxes. We have been living here for 9 months, so clearly the time has come. The only boxes that remain are the china and crystal, which have been carefully piled in the garage. We don't actually own a china hutch or any dining room furniture, so it is safer to stay packed for now.

Once the house was back on track, it was time to turn to the yard. My front garden was looking more like a jungle, so tonight I braved the 108 degree temperature and weeded the garden. I was cheered on by Ray as he washed his car, and Woofer who panted from the garage while we worked. Although the gardens look great I discovered two unfortunate things. 1) There are almost no plants left. I guess this is to be expected since it has been over 100 degrees every day for over a month now. And 2) there were fire ants living under some of the weeds.

Fire ants are a special breed of devil that I had not encountered until I moved to Texas. They are vicious vicious little beasts that swarm when you upset their home turf. Apparently when there is a large enough swarm of them they can actually kill animals. Thankfully I do not have QUITE that many in the front garden, but I am nursing some very sore and itchy fingers. This will look interesting in clinic when I go to examine someone and my own hands are covered in blisters!

I am learning a lot about different bugs and bites being in Texas. I have seen more than a few brown recluse spider bites (or as my Godmother calls them - reclining spiders). They create quite the amazing infections and abscesses. I'm learning about things like - no-see-ums (aka black flies), chiggers, locusts and ticks. Of course I still see the expected crop of high blood pressure, diabetes, ear infections, etc, but it truly is interesting to learn about all these other things I have never encountered.

Hopefully I will keep the learning more to the books, and less to experiencing it myself in the front garden!

Lots of love
Pamela

p.s. Sorry again for the long absence. I will try to keep on track better!
p.p.s. 107 days till the wedding :)

1 comment:

  1. Time for another update - as you begin the next phase of your Meducation: management!

    ReplyDelete