Saturday, June 06, 2009

Rant

This has become my number one pet peeve - Have you ever been to a store/restaurant/business/whatever and say politely after your transaction is done - Have a nice day! to which the person behind the counter responds - Yup.

.....Yup?

Did your mother teach you to say Yup when someone says something polite to you?!?!?! It makes me want to turn around, run back, grab them by the collar and yell - THE ANSWER IS - THANKS, YOU TOO!!!!! But I suppose resorting to violence and yelling defeats the purpose of being polite in the first place. It really does annoy me though. I mean even if they didn't want me to have a nice day, then they could say - Thank you. They don't have to wish it back to me. But please, I'm begging, learn an ounce of customer service and don't just say - Yup.

Pamela

p.s. I passed my licencing exam!!! That is why I now have time to comment on bizarre things like customary greetings when transacting business :)

3 comments:

  1. At my place o' work, Doctor Sister, we have to say either "Have a nice day" or "Thanks for shopping Loblaws" or else we get written up. Is forced politeness still polite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's even worse in the States where the answer to "thank you" is "yup" or "uh huh". blerg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite was working as a waitress, and saying to people "enjoy your meal", to which they often responded "you too"....um...I'm not eating, I'm working :P

    ReplyDelete